Explore Our Strengths
A new model for making television
We’ve changed the face of television production. By centralizing services within our company, the rising costs associated with creating content have been altered. SPNY Studios provides value in the cost of producing rich content that our partners find remarkable. Working at all budget levels, we have considerable experience producing for broadcast, corporate and the web. We are experts at creating efficiencies in production that allow more to be done for less and we partner with the best creative minds from inside and outside our walls to ensure that your project brings the freshest ideas to viewers.
Digital has changed everything
As an industry, we're constantly tested and dared to innovate. So at SPNY Studios, we've built a digital bridge that moves our partners through the process; from the production process they know to a digital future where they can adapt. We're here to help sort through the alphabet soup of new technologies and the myriad of equipment, formats and deliverables that the industry demands.
This is what we do
Check out all of our services below. Partnering with us on your next project ensures a high-end production, a cost-effective budget and absolute production synergy.
From high-end television productions to modest promo shoots or table-top photography, the possibilities are endless when you shoot at SPNY Studios's New York Studios. With shows like Iron Chef America and Chopped, our Studio facilities present a fresh new approach to the production groups that work with us. We offer alternatives in achieving a cutting-edge selection of creativity at a surprisingly lower cost. This is a state-of-the-art television facility that boasts two studios: one large production studio and a smaller insert studio. What's more, our studios are integrated with fiber connectivity; allowing for Live Broadcasting around the world .
Then there is historic Chelsea Market. The famous food court and the exterior parts of this location can also serve as another setting for productions. Broadcast service panels (BSP) are strategically located in the food court and fully integrated to our control rooms – allowing additional live and live-to-tape pickup points for multi-camera productions. It's all part of a production powerhouse that includes two control rooms, a main audio control room, an exhaustive complement of cameras, VTR's, a large inventory of lighting and grip equipment, dressing, wardrobe and makeup rooms and a host of other amenities.
We've developed strategic partnerships to help you manage everything from technical crews and special equipment rentals to set building and catering. We also maintain a hands-on staff to assist in every aspect of production logistics.
Click here for PDF one-sheet of our studio specs and details
- Studio A: Large Production Studio: Audience Rated
- Studio B: Insert Production Studio
- Remote connectivity for live feeds to Chelsea Market food court and building exterior
- Pedestals and Tripods
- Sony Switcher
- Live production capabilities via outbound fiber
- VTR'S and DVE's
- SSL C-100 Audio Board
- DDR, Still Store, Prompter and Graphics Systems.
- Lighting Boards
- Lighting and Grip Equipment
- 260-Channel Dimming System
- Dressing Room Suites
- Green Room
- Makeup Rooms
- Lighting Boards
- Wardrobe Rooms
- On-Site Studio Managers
- Set construction coordination
- Extensive microphone, IFB and communications complement.
- Air Conditioning
- Ample Stage Power
SPNY Studios's Post-Production group is a full-service editing facility, offering the latest in state-of-the-art technology. We operate on the Avid Media Composer platform, with full digital integration from tape and file acquisition, Avid Interplay, and use shared media storage solutions to help in every aspect of the Post Production work flow. We offer a creative environment, complemented by an extremely dedicated and talented team of editors and support staff.
What sets us apart from other in-house shops are the range of services we provide above and beyond just a top notch editor on a top notch system. With a full-time scheduling and operations team, full support by a knowledgeable Engineering staff as well as Media librarians and a Duplications Department, it's all geared toward assisting through every step of your project. We understand that every project is unique, and requires a dedicated approach to balancing the scope, budget and deadlines. That's why we're here to help you set up a post-production strategy in advance. We first consider the acquisition format, the amount of media to be managed and the network delivery requirements – all the things that have a hand in molding the elements of your workflow. Careful attention up front saves money in the budget and saves you time – allowing the focus in post-production to be all creative, rather than dealing with problems.
Our entire space was designed to be personable yet functional. Along with the relaxed surroundings, you'll find all of the technology that has formed SPNY's outstanding reputation. The suites are complemented by a fully integrated technical machine room, supporting nearly every HD, SD and digital format and an AVID ISIS shared media storage network. This allows all of our suites and systems to easily share media across platforms and workstations throughout the facility.
But the most important service the SPNY Post Production group provides is a great experience. Whether you're doing work on a Scripps Networks series, promo, the web or anything else, our team will ensure a quality finished product and…a good time.
- Remarkably affordable hourly rates
- Avid Symphony Nitris and Avid Media Composer systems
- All systems connected by the Avid ISIS 7000 Shared Storage Network
- Avid Interplay
- LTO Archive System
- Sapphire and Boris Red software effects plugins
- Adobe Creative Suite 6 on every edit system
- A complement of exceptional staff and freelance Editors
- Scheduling Department support - using Xytech Media Pulse
- Creation of digital files for review and approval
- Avid Certified service engineering support staff
- FTP Site available for transfer of files
- Producers consoles in all suites with PC, phone and internet
- Assistant Editor support
- Relaxing lounge area with sofas and televisions, and two kitchens
- Network printer access.
- Maximized savings through intangible services: such as project management and quality assurance assistance for every project.
At SPNY Studios Graphics, we're dedicated to creating beautiful visual solutions, using a wide range of mediums and techniques. From simple one-off projects to complete series packages, our goal is to deliver creative and functional graphics solutions for your next project.
We're experienced at building strong series brands that provide the solid foundations required to make a show stand out. Working closely with development teams and series producers, we've designed, created, produced and directed motion graphics and live action elements for countless shows and specials – all at a fraction of the cost normally budgeted. We're engaged from the start with look and feel frames and logo ideas. Always looking for the most creative solutions, SPNY Graphics brings ideas to life through clever storytelling and stunning design.
- Complete Graphics packages for Series: Show Opens, Bumpers, Transitions, Lower-thirds, etc.
- Logo Design
- Motion Design, Compositing and Matchmoving
- Green Screen technology experience and resources
- On-set direction of talent
- Project Management
- 3D Animation and Compositing
- Large Graphics Suite for brainstorming/idea development
- Wide array of software plug-ins and hi-end hardware
Audio Services and Music
S PNY Studios Audio provides a wide selection of Audio Services; ranging from professional audio mixing, sweetening and full scale sound design to voice-over recording and original music composition. Our experienced Sound Designers have the knowledge and skill to conquer any project, large or small – from promos to long-form series. Our ProTools suites are filled with powerful tools to instantly meet your needs. Superior monitoring assures that your project goes to air the way it is meant to be.
Audio branding campaigns are another area we specialize in. We've supported promo divisions for Food Network and Cooking Channel with music and sound design that is charged with distinction, trust and creativity – music identifiers that are on target.
Our talented crew has been sought after for its sound mixing expertise of long-form lifestyle programming. From dialogue editing to foley recording, it's a wide-ranging, impeccable level of service by engineers with years of experience in almost every field of audio: post-production sound, TV and film production, music recording and mixing, as well as live concert mixing.
- Protools HD Suites
- Audio Mixing
- Sound Design and Sound FX
- ProControl 24 Consoles
- Music Editing and Mixing
- Voice-Over Recording Booth
- Soundminer FX Library
- Foley Recording
- ISDN Digital Land Patch Recording
- Dialogue Editing
- FTP Site available for transfer of files; such as AAF's
- Producers consoles with PC, Phone and Internet.
- Music and Sound Effects: we have an extensive in-house music library with over 700,000 tracks. An innovative web-based system that allows any producer to work faster, more productively, and with greater creative freedom.
SPNY Studios offers all of the traditional Line Producing and Production Management services.
Using professional accounting practices and responsible cost reporting, we manage an average of 10 series a year. From studio based shows to shooting on multiple locations around the country, our talented staff of Production Managers provides an incredibly diverse array of support services:
- Basic assumption pages for budget
- Develop a production strategy
- Supervise day-to-day activities
- Pre-production planning
- Negotiating and hiring crews
- Location permits
- Existing partnership with Payroll company
- Insurance needs
- Accomodations and airfares
- Production Catering/Craft Services
Duplication Services and Media Library
Our Duplications and Library teams offer a complete and comprehensive asset management, tape duplication, digital file compression, standards conversions and operations to our partners.
The Duplication Services include Hi-Def and Standard Def duplications, up conversions, down conversions, cross conversions, DVD creation, Time Code Burn-in, DVD authoring, multiple replications and Digital File encode/transcode.
On the Library side, our Media Center team maintains and manages all raw assets and masters throughout the production and post-production process. We can assist with asset tracking, workflow management and storage in our library.
- Tape formats include: HDCAM, DVC Pro HD, HDV, Digital Beta and IMX.
- Format, Frame Rate and Standards Conversions using high-end Teranex broadcast image technology
- Digital File Encoding and Transcoding.
- Raw Stock procurement and management during production and post-production.
- Dedicated Avid system for the Duplication team: used for quick reformats, cut-downs, editing for special presentations, comp reels, etc.
- NTSC / PAL
- Barcode and tracking of all assets
- Convenient check in/check out Media Center
- DVD Authoring and Replication
- High Resolution Ink-jet Custom DVD Printing.
Engineering and Technical Support
At SPNY Studios, we have a singular goal to consistently deliver services and products that exceed expectations. To this end, we employ only the best and most qualified technical support staff. In fact, our Broadcast Engineers support studio productions, post suites and EVERYTHING in between. In addition to excelling in the design and construction of all of our facilities, and keeping us up and running -- our Engineering Group researches, develops and invests in the best technologies to enable us to provide outstanding technical and consulting services. Offering the latest workflow solutions to our partners brings greater efficiencies, allowing us to reduce costs and increase productivity.